Saturday, May 7, 2011

We would like to become CMMI ML3, but my boss says it's only for big companies.

Dear Appraiser,


We would like to adopt CMMI and maybe even become ML3 someday.  My boss says he likes the idea, but that the CMMI is only for big, huge companies because of all the overhead.  What do you think?

One of the things I love about the CMMI is that it's a learning experience for everyone.  I often spend weeks educating the management team with a new client, but fortunately on this issue, we don't have to do that. We have data!

The SEI has just released their March 2011 Maturity Profile Report and one of the pages depicts CMMI appraisals by organizational size.

CMMI used to be the domain of big companies, but the data now tells us that over 50% of adopters have fewer than 100 employees, and that 18% have fewer than 25!

Oh, and by the way, CMMI doesn't add overhead - overzealous managers and process people do that.  But don't get me started on that rant!


No comments: