Happy New Year!
You know, based on the comments and questions we receive throughout the year at Ask the CMMI Appraiser, it's clear to me that many of our Readers are already embracing the CMMI for the right reasons. If that's you, it doesn't take a sooth-sayer to predict that you will continue that trend. You'll still look at the CMMI as a tool, not a rulebook, a framework that helps you continually learn about yourself and your company, and keeps you the path to greatness, so you can be the kind of company you've always dreamed of being. The past is prologue to a wonderful future.
But exactly what does that look like in 2014? What practical, useful outcomes will be achieved? Let's gaze into the mysterious orb of engineering strategy and performance improvement and find out ...
It's time for 14 CMMI predictions for 2014!
Yes ... I see a vision emerging. The future is becoming clear. I see that your company -- and anyone else who wisely adopts the CMMI for the right reasons -- will experience the following 14 useful, tangible benefits in 2014:
- You will lead your team to think about the CMMI as set of guidelines for improving performance
- You will improve requirements churn and volatility, so that you can spend less time and money on re-work
- Your projects will be on-time and on-budget more often
- You will inspire your teammates to get better at what they do
- You will understand how to deal with risk, before it hurts you
- You will avoid having too many meetings, unhappy customers and unpredictable projects
- You will do what you are already doing, better
- You will learn how to deploy processes that are useful, not overhead
- You will be a champion to your CMMI sponsors in guiding their programs
- You will support your leadership team in facilitating strategic decisions
- You will take appropriate action that is not heavy-handed
- You will create less "process debt"
- You will pursue CMMI training and embrace useful process everywhere in your company
- You will expand your understanding of what it is to be a great company!
These are the behaviors that can help you reach for greatness, any time of year. So let's resolve to take the right approach to adopting the CMMI, and make all of these positive outcomes predictable for 2014.
From our team to yours, have a happy and prosperous New Year!
Like this blog? Forward to your nearest engineering or software exec!
Jeff Dalton is a Certified SCAMPI Lead Appraiser, Certified CMMI Instructor, ScrumMaster, author, and consultant with years of real-world experience with the CMMI in all types of organizations. Jeff pioneered agileCMMI, the leading methodology for incremental and iterative process improvement. He has taught thousands of students in CMMI trainings and has received an aggregate satisfaction score of 4.97 out of 5 from his students.
Visit www.broadswordsolutions.com for more information about engineering strategy, performance innovation , software process improvement and running a successful CMMI program.
To download eBooks about CMMI, visit Jeff’s Author Page on Amazon.