SEPG 2011 will be here in two weeks! It's the world's greatest gathering of professionals interested in engineering process improvement and CMMI so you don't want to miss it. There will be dozens of excellent speakers on many topics, so whatever you choose you'll have fun, learn a lot, and leave Portland smarter about CMMI than before you came.
Here are our "picks" for this year's conference. My list is merely the topics I am interested in, not a judgement of "goodness." They are all good!
The Do's and "Don'ts of Process Improvement with Pat O'Toole.
- Pat is a very experienced SEPG Presenter and always pleases his audience. He manages to be BOTH funny and informative at the same time (I hear he chews gum at the same time too!).
CMMI v1.3 and Architecture with Mike Konrad ("the wild-man") and Lawrence Jones. These guys always put on a good show - not to be missed!
The Agile SCAMPI: Taming the Savage Beast with Jeff Dalton
- OK, you caught me. Come see me, even if it's for the hats, t-shirts, and other great swag you might win. Oh, and I'll also be talking about how to make SCAMPI Appraisals bearable too.
Using Organizational Objectives to Guide you Process Improvement Program with Steve Masters
- Steve is a terrific presenter and this is an important topic. The right objectives are the key to a successful program, and Steve is the guy to deliver it. Disclaimer: I also think Steve is a really cool guy who knows his stuff.
Planning SCAMPI v1.3 Appraisals with Alexander Stall and Will Hays
- If your going to be conducting a CMMI v1.3 Appraisal, you need to hear what these two very smart guys have to say. Will literally "wrote the book." Actually, I think he's written multiple books.
Culture and Process Capability, the Secret Sauce with Hillel Glazer (aka "the reverend") and George Zack. The #1 enabler of process capability is culture - I don't know George, but Hillel always puts an a good show! Be prepared for some serious knowledge!
Gala Reception Tuesday night. Don't miss this, it's a blast!
Who Cares? So What? PPQA that Adds Business Value, not Overhead with Heather Oppenheimer and Christie Jensen
- A subject near to my heart, and with a great speaker! I don't know Christie, but Heather is TOPS!
How to Sell Process Improvement with Molly Levy
- An excellent and important topic for anyone needing to push CMMI "upstairs."
Broadsword Client User Group and Appreciation Dinner Wednesday night. If you're a client, or have been in one of our many classes, let us know you're going to be in town and we'll send you a personal invitation!
CMMI in Social-Media (for the Social Media Challenged!) with Bill Smith ((the world's only "CMMI Entertainer!").
Bill always puts on a great show and you'll learn a few things along the way too. This is one speaker I never miss! But watch out for the flying monkeys!
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly . . . . the Process that is with Sabahat Khan and Rahul Bhalerao.
Real life examples? Always better than theory. And Sabahat is a cool guy and one exciting speaker!
Well, those are our picks for SEPG 2011. See you in Portland!